2018 DFLA ANNUAL CONFERENCE
“I Want My Party Back”
Please be sure to visit with our sponsor ATTWN and our charity tables while you are at the conference!
Friday July 20, 2018- The Challenge Of Being A Pro-life Democrat (Arapahoe Room)
3:00 pm – Registration/Book Sales/Sponsors/Charity Tables Open
4:00 pm – Welcome – Kristen Day, Executive Director of Democrats For Life of America
- 4:00 pm Hear Our Voices – Moderated by Chris Sullivan: Albany Rose, Amanda Perreault, Kelly Rosati and Maureen Yockey
- 5:25 pm Whole-Life Advocacy Is A Human Rights Cause – Pastor Arthur Porter
6:15 pm to 6:45 pm – Break
6:15 pm Cash Bar area opens (Club Lounge)
- 6:40 pm Kristen Day, Executive Director of DFLA
- 6:45 pm Educate, Investigate, Inspire + Activate – Alison Howard Centofante, Director of Strategic Communications, Live Action
- 7:20 pm The Challenge Of Being A Pro-life Democrat – Michael Wear, Board Member of DFLA and Former US Representative Bart Stupak, D-MI
- 8:15 pm Break
- 8:30 pm Q&A Panel With Bart Stupak, Michael Wear and Kristen Day
9:00 pm – Wrap up
Saturday July 21, 2018 – You Are Not Alone (Arapahoe Room)
7:00 am – Registration (book/charity/sponsor tables opening before 8:00 am)
Morning Moderator: Jeannie French – Board Member of DFLA
- 8:00 am How “Welfare” Destroys the Possibility of Parenting – Diane Pagen
- 9:00 am The Intersection between Faith, Politics, and the Whole Life Movement – Justin Giboney
- 10:00 am Break
- 10:15 am The Whole-Life Safety Net Panel Former US Representative Lincoln Davis and Anna Keating (see below)
The Pregnancy Support Act and Other Whole-Life Legislative Priorities
Suicide in America: Physician-Assisted Suicide and Whole-Life Alternatives, w/ Anna Keating
- 11:15 am Freedom of Religion: A Bi-Partisan Principle in an Era of Hyper-Partisanship- Michael Baxter, Ph. D.
12:00 pm – Box Lunches Provided! This is also a great time to visit with the ATTWN and the charity tables
Afternoon Moderator: Lincoln Davis, Former US Representative, D-TN
- 1:00 pm Pro-Life Feminism in 2018 – Destiny Herndon-De La Rosa and Terrisa Bukovinac
- 2:00 pm Panel on Community Health Centers: The Lesser-Known Alternative: Ryan Bomberger and Dr. Rachel MacNair (see below)
Planned Parenthood: Less Care No Matter What – Ryan Bomberger
A New Initiative – Grassroots Defunding: Finding Alternatives to Planned Parenthood – Dr. Rachel McNair
- 3:15 pm Break
- 3:30 pm And Then There Were None (ATTWN) – powerful speaker panel led by Founder Abby Johnson, plus Meagan Weber, Annette Lancaster and Naomi Padilla
- 4:30 pm The Research-Based Communication Approach – Robert Rysavy
- 5:15 Break for the DFLA Awards Banquet
6:00 pm DFLA Awards Banquet (included with ticket) (Colorado Room)
- 6:45 pm Opening blessing with Justin Giboney
- 7:05 pm Big Tent Legislative Caucus and Board Recognition with Janet Robert, President of DFLA
- 7:15 pm State of the Chapters with Matt Tuman, DLFA State Chapter Coordinator
- 7:30 pm “Bob Casey Whole-Life Award” given to Congressman Dan Lipinski, D-Illinois Third District, for his service to our country and his solid pro-life stance in Congress
- 7:45 pm Essay Contest Winner presented by Roger Morin
- 8:00 pm Keynote Address by Charles Camosy, PhD.
- 9:00 pm Adjourn for the evening
Sunday July 22, 2018 – Doing This Together
7:30 am to 8:15 am – Optional Worship Time
Catholic Mass led by Rev. Dr. Chrysostom Frank (Aurora Room)
Protestant church service led by Pastor Arthur Porter (Arapahoe Room)
8:15 am to 9:00 am – Break
Morning Moderator: Matt Tuman (Arapahoe Room)
9:00 am – Cultivating The Whole Life Movement – Robert Christian III, Lauren Castillo and Terrisa Bukovinac
Purpose: Traditionally, the pro-life moment has been led by, as Todd Snider best describes in song “Conservative Christian, right wing, Republican, Straight White American males.” The future of the movement is much more diverse and has helped make great strides in moving hearts and minds. Our panel represents a much more diverse movement.
10:15 am – Setting the Table: Building a Culture of Life One Relationship at at Time – Chris Sullivan
Purpose: As both advocates for whole life policy and Democrats, we often find ourselves on opposing sides of the table from people with whom we otherwise share common ground. Whether we’re talking with a legislator across a conference table, a fellow parishioner across the communion table, or a family member across the Thanksgiving table, we have the opportunity to transcend antagonism and fear less by making the perfect case and more by learning to listen well. Changed hearts change the world, and hearts change in genuine relationships built on mutual respect. Let’s explore how we can represent the truth of a whole life ethic by becoming better, more empathic listeners.
11:00 am – Training materials and surveys with Matt Tuman, DFLA Chapter Leader Coordinator
11:15 am – Break-Out Sessions – The Nuts and Bolts of DFLA Political Activism (please select one)
Participation In Government-Tom Perille, MD and President of Democrats for Life of Colorado
SUMMIT ROOM B
The Legislative Process: How A Bill Becomes A Law – Kristen Day
SUMMIT ROOM C
Launching A Local Chapter/Association and Community Relationships – Matt Tuman, Lois Kerschen and Denise Archuleta
12:00 pm – Conference Comes to A Close
Thank you for being our guest! See you next year!
You will receive a printed version at the conference.
Mother Cabrini Shrine of Golden, Colorado has compiled a comprehensive list of supportive resources for the needy. Their list includes resources for cash assistance, day care, disability assistance, employment resources, food banks, hospice, housing, medical care, mental health, senior services, shelters and veteran’s health. This list does not include abortion services/clinics.
Please link here to access this extensive database.
Just in….Please stop by the 40 Days For Life table, to learn more about the upcoming campaign “TAKE A STAND FOR LIFE”
America’s Kids Belong is a 501(c)3 organization that mobilizes government, faith-based, business and creative leaders around the goal of permanency and belonging for every child. Combining grassroots and “grasstops” methods, America’s Kids Belong runs innovative initiatives in states to help ensure that every child is in a loving home by: recruiting more foster and adoptive families, engaging wrap-around support for at-risk, foster & adoptive families along the way, and helping youth who have aged out without a family reach their full potential.
When a child is placed into a loving foster home or eventually adopted from foster care by a loving and supportive family, his or her life improves dramatically. Research shows us that these children who have found loving homes improve in school; they thrive emotionally and physically; and they have better chance of finding employment and leading a productive life. America’s Kids Belong tackles our country’s foster care and adoption crisis from the top down and the bottom up.
Marisol Health operates two medical centers on Colorado’s Front Range that are fully equipped to help women make informed decisions about their reproductive health. Marisol Health embraces individuals and families in need with life-affirming medical care and social services. Through a special partnership with Bella Natural Women’s Care & Family Wellness, Marisol Health provides a full range of women’s health and family health services.
Marisol Health’s medical team and social services staff work hand in hand to provide women with dignified, holistic care. The medical clinics are based on a unique continuum of care model that leverages existing resources within Catholic Charities, including shelter and housing services, family and children’s services and counseling.
Marisol Maternity, part of Marisol Human Services, provides:
- Shelter and basic needs
- Life coaching
- Pre-natal healthcare
- Post-natal support services
Marisol Homes provide:
- Shelter and basic needs
- Maternity Care
- Case management
- Post-shelter support services
- Post-shelter support services
String Of Pearls was created to provide a nurturing and safe place for families as they navigate the path following a fatal prenatal diagnosis that will result in the death of their baby prior to, or shortly after birth. The path between grief and hope is a difficult place to walk; our desire is to provide guidance, compassion and practical suggestions as plans to honor the life of pre-born babies are crafted. Each life has a story worth telling, and we are here for support as stories are lovingly written.
Sting Of Pearls provides coordinated care by an experienced labor and delivery nurse with personal experience in perinatal loss. String Of Pearls is a liaison between the medical community by coordinating care with perinatologists, neonatologists, obstetricians, labor and delivery nurses, and chaplains as well as suggestions in creating a birth plan that will express your wishes for your care as well as your baby.
Keepsake Packages: We are honored to provide any family facing a fatal diagnosis with a beautiful package of treasures to be used before the baby is born and materials to help collect keepsakes after.
- Plaster kit to make hand and foot molds
- Clay for creating hand and foot prints
- Ornament with paint and instructions for firing
- Small photo album
- A Gift of Time by Amy Kuebelbeck and Dr. Debra Davis
- Cabo Cream
- A variety of books dealing with grief for parents and siblings
Contents of package may change depending on availability.
Pearl’s Story: “On the morning of March 22, 2006 our lives were changed forever. At our routine 20 week ultrasound we are informed that our precious baby girl, Pearl, has Alobar Holoprocencephaly with severe facial anomalies. We are so devastated by the news. We have 3 beautiful children and are so excited to be having our 4th. We do not know how are going to navigate our way through these uncharted waters.” The story of sweet baby Pearl can be read here.
To learn more about String of Pearls’ Founder, Laura Huene, please link here.
Alternatives Pregnancy Center cares for Denver-area women and men in pregnancy-related crisis and offers them a meaningful alternative to abortion. Following the example of Christian love, we seek to meet their emotional, physical and spiritual needs. And we enable and encourage them to choose life every day.